Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (divided)
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt (divided)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 C. vegetable broth
- 1/2 C. unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, and remove the seeds.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of black pepper, then place them cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the squash with 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45 min, until soft. Remove the squash and set aside.
- In a pot, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, when hot add onions, sauté till onions are translucent, add garlic, ginger and allspice, sauté for two minutes, being careful not to burn the mix.
- Add carrots and broth, bring to a boil then add the squash.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or till carrots are soft.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Be sure air the blender's cap, in other way the steam will make the soup to explode all over your kitchen -not a fun thing-
- Return all of the soup to the pot, then add 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in the milk. Serve hot.