Why do we love tortillas so much? because they can make any just OK dish into a fun experience, you can wrap anything with them, and the best part, they’re very versatile. Following a grain free diet, makes you avoid foods like tortillas, that’s part of the past, now I can enjoy them and have the pleasure of eating one of my favorite meals “Fish Tacos”
These tortillas are made with Cassava flour very different than tapioca flour, cassava (yucca) flour is the whole vegetable ground, tapioca flour is the starch extracted from it. They’re totally vegan and AIP complaint (leave out the flax). The flour comes with a tortilla recipe in the back of the bag, I did some changes to it, it’s such a simple recipe it’s not too much room for big changes.
As I said Fish tacos are my favorite, the pic shows my delicious version, I topped the tortillas with cod (sauteed with onions and garlic), avocado, mango salsa (AIP approved, a very simple version but equally delicious, chopped mango, onions and lemon juice), and cilantro.
- 3/4 C. Cassava flour
- 1 Tbsp flax meal (omit for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 C. warm water
- Mix flour, flax meal, salt, and baking soda
- Add oil and water to the dry mix.
- Mixed well with your hands till the dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls
- Using a tortilla maker or roller pin, flatten the balls using parchment paper on top and bottom of the dough. When you have the tortilla (about 8 inches diameter) set aside, form the rest till all the tortillas are ready, keep them separated with the parchment paper.
- Heat a pan ( I used cast iron) in medium heat, when hot place a tortilla in the pan and cook for about 1 1/2 minute, you'll see brown spots, flip it and cook till second side has few brown spots.
- Place tortilla in a plate with a clean towel covering it to keep it warm and flexible. Proceed to cook the rest of the tortillas placing them in the dish and covered with towel.
- Ensemble tacos, wraps, quesadillas burritos or anything that comes to your mind.