Spring is the season of the liver. This hard worker organ is a detox powerhouse, it filters toxins and foreign substances from the bloodstream, breaking them down, and excreting them.
As powerful as the liver is, it needs our attention. Taking care of the liver is a priority not only in my personal daily routine, but in my clients one. Having an auto-immune condition makes you more conscious about your body, for me detox is a must, keeping my liver functioning properly is a priority.
There are many ways to give your liver the nutrition it needs and aid it with detoxification, for me this drink is the easiest and most delicious way to do it. It’s made with my top liver aids: nettles to nourish the liver as well as the kidneys and adrenals, dandelion to cleanse so it can work properly, dandelion also aids the digestive system by maintaining the proper flow of bile, chicory to strengthen it, also cleanses not only the liver but the blood, chicory is a great digestive system support too, and reishi mushrooms for it’s anti-oxidants that boost the immune-system. These amazing ingredients paired with healthy fats and protein, make this drink a powerhouse.
- 1 Tbsp dandelion root
- 1 Tbsp roasted chicory root
- 1 Tbsp dry nettle leaves
- 4 C. boiling water
- 1/3 C. raw cashews
- 1/4 C. raw pepitas
- 1 tsp reishi mushroom powder
- 2 Tbsp protein of choice
- 6-8 vanilla stevia drops or sweetener of choice
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- Place dandelion root, chicory root, and nettle in a French press (you can use any container suitable to steep tea)
- Add boiling water, let it infuse at least five minutes, the longest you leave it the stronger your tea will be.
- Add to a blender, cashews, pumpkin seeds ( for nut free or if you're following AIP, substitute cashews and pepitas for the fat of a BPA free can of coconut milk), reishi mushroom, protein, and sweetener.
- Strain the tea and add it to the blender with the other ingredients.
- Blend till smooth.
- Serve immediately for a delicious hot latte. Sprinkle with cinnamon.