After many years of piling health issues, specially with my digestion, I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) few weeks ago. SIBO occurs when bacteria that belongs to the large intestine moves to the colon, when this condition is not addressed can caused many health problems, including IBS, acid reflex, even fibromyalgia and other Auto-immune conditions.
With my doctor’s support I took the holistic way to treat it, this includes an herbal blend and diet, the diet I’m following is a combination of the FODMAP and SCD diets, the goal is to support the herbs with a diet that doesn’t feed the bacteria. I’m used to cook meals that are free of several foods, but with this diet, I really have to be creative, it doesn’t mean I’m not eating delicious food, that’s not an option in my kitchen.
This experience has been challenging but I’m learning a lot, a good thing to help my clients more, now I have more tools to support them in their individual journey.
Now to this awesome soup. Let me tell you, I enjoyed every single drop it has everything a body needs to feel nurtured. I used cod fish but you can use any fish of choice. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (avoid for AIP)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (avoid for AP)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 C. shredded coconut
- A big handful of cilantro
- 1 C. bone broth or any broth of your choice
- 1 pound cod fish pieces
- 2 cups Summer squash cubed
- 4 C. bock choy chopped
- 1 BPA free can full fat coconut milk or 1 1/2 C. bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender blend shredded coconut, 1 C. bone broth and cilantro. Set aside
- in a medium size pot heat up coconut oil, add seeds, turmeric, salt and pepper. saute till seeds are aromatic, be careful not to burn them.
- Add the coconut cilantro mix to the pan, stir for few seconds
- Add fish and coconut milk, cover the pot and let it boil for about five minutes
- Add vegetables. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
- Turn the heat off leaving the soup cover for 5-10 minutes. I like the veggies crunchy, you can cook them more if you like them softer.